Minimally motivated.
Friday was my registration and orientation for the dance program. It was my first time riding the train(s) into LA, then Hollywood to get to my school. It was a long train ride (1.5-2hr), but wayyy better than trying to tackle LA traffic with my Subie, then parking...
I will ALWAYS bring my headphones when riding the train in the future. This is why:
The lady literally scream-sang most of my first train ride, which was an hour. I was impressed with how everyone on such a full train handled it. We giggled, and made jokes. We even tried to clap at one point to signal that the show must be over... No one was mean to her though, or approached her in a hostile way... Impressed.
Eventually, I arrived in Hollywood. The entrance to the train is right on the strip. I was happy that I had already been to Hollywood in the past, so I wasn't overly distracted. But, I WAS in Hollywood. NOT as a tourist. Very interesting feeling.
When I went into International Dance Academy, I was still a tiny bit nervous that maybe I had been tricked into a scam. But, HOORAY, I had not. And all is fine. I had registration with 4 other girls in their twenties (there are about 15 of us altogether). We took a 30min. placement class, and that's where all my deep fears and doubts arose: What if I'm not good enough? What if they think I suck? What if they regret admitting me to the program? and so on... I wish I could say that I rocked the placement class. I didn't. But, I'm happy to be placed in the beginning classes, because that is where I need to be, and that is where I will learn and flourish.
Some of my goals upon completion of this dance program are: to improve technical skill in dance, to be able to learn choreography quickly and confidently, and most of all, to accept and own my physical presence in this world. I have confidence on most fronts, but I want to feel comfortable being seen, especially when I'm presenting my own thoughts and creations.
So, even though I am extremely nervous etc. about classes starting tomorrow (ballet, then jazz in the morning), I plan to kick ass. I also plan to be patient and gentle with myself while I'm learning how to kick ass... lol.
LOVE,
Your Cali Girl <3


Awww...Shan...We Love You! Good Luck...or Break a Leg (or not) or whatever ...I'll be thinking about you tomorrow...Have fun!
ReplyDelete